Downtown Ithaca Mural Street Art Project
CALL FOR ARTISTS:
DOWNTOWN ITHACA MURAL STREET ART PROJECT
Submission Deadline: Proposals in by 5:00 pm March 8, 2010
The City of Ithaca Public Art Commission (PAC), in conjunction with the Downtown Ithaca Alliance (DIA), seeks proposals from artists for a site specific mural street art project. Funds for this project will come from the New York Main Street Program, administered by the DIA. This is the first of a series of public art mural initiatives and projects to be undertaken by the PAC.
The Commission seeks to create a public art mural at a highly visible vehicular community location in the heart of downtown. The surface is a concrete wall with approximate dimensions of 48 feet by 13 feet. (see attached) This is primarily a vehicular location but does have some pedestrian traffic. The durability of this mural is an important consideration. Under the terms of the funding program, the mural must remain in place for seven years. This is seen as a site specific project and content should be appropriate to the site. This is an open theme but artists are urged to consider work that reflects the character, history, multi-cultural nature or diversity of Ithaca.
Timeline: The DIA intends to enter into a contract with successful bidder by March 31. We expect work to commence by April 1, 2010 & completedJune 15, 2010.
Target Location: The south side wall of the Aurora St. bridge underpass on Green St., downtown, Ithaca NY
Remuneration: $2,000 (grant to cover all artist expenses & costs)
Eligibility: Open to all artists residing within New York State
Items to Submit:
- Sketch of proposed work including budget for materials & equipment
- Description of work & narrative
- Artist resume
- Graphics of at least three previous pieces
The Public Art Commission will serve as the selection committee.
Proposals will be juried based on:
- Appropriateness of work to location
- Quality of prior work
- Description of proposed work
- The finished piece will become the property of the City of Ithaca.
- Due to its location on a State highway and recognizing the need for the City and/or State to undertake periodic maintenance and repair activities, the City will reserve the right to remove or eliminate this mural, should it be deemed necessary.
- It is anticipated that prior to painting the mural the wall area will be primed/prepared by the artist.
For more information, contact:
Brett Bossard, Community Arts Partnership email@example.com or 607-273-5072
Caleb R. Thomas, PAC Mural Street Art Project Committee Chair, firstname.lastname@example.org or 607-273-5242,
Please submit proposals to: Downtown Ithaca Alliance, 171 The Commons, #136, Ithaca, NY 14850 or email@example.com